If you plan to live in Portugal, we recommend obtaining a Número de Utente. The Número de Utente, or NSNS, is an identification number in the Portuguese public health system. If you have this number, you can receive public health care as a citizen.
The Número de Utente is gathered in a database of the Registo de Saúde Eletrónico (RSE) and the RNU (Registo Nacional dos Utentes): what medicines the patient takes, vaccinations, allergies, and so on.
What documents do you need?
- Resident visa (D) or residence permit
- NISS number
- A rental contract and/or a certificate from the Junta de freguesia (local government) with the signatures of two neighboring witnesses who confirm that you live at the address.
You can bring water or electricity bills in your name if you haven't Junta de freguesia.
How to get a number?
Step 1: Find a health center the nearest to your home – USCP.
You can find the nearest center by following this link – click on PEDIR NO LOCAL.
Step 2. Come during office hours
It will be better in the morning, to avoid long waiting times.
If you can't get your bearings, say at the entrance "Queria fazer o número de utente por faz favor".
Step 3. Give the employee your passport and residence permit card when it is your turn.
Step 4. Receive the paper with your número de utente
Please check carefully that all the data is correct.
For central Lisbon, you can send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
The address above is suitable for those living in Areeiro, Arroios, Beato, Campo de Ourique, Estrela, Marvila, Misericórdia, Olivais, Parque das Nações, Penha de França, Santa Maria Maior, Santo António, São Vicente.
- To receive vaccinations, you can get a temporary número de utente; here are the addresses of health centers.
- Your spouse's Número de Utente when prescribing for yourself or your child.
- There is the equivalent of an electronic medical card, prescriptions, consultations, blood tests, doctor's appointments, etc.: https://servicos.min-saude.pt/utente_auth/utente
To stay up-to-date on immigration news, subscribe to us: